Are you looking for some ways to add color and warmth to your home or business? Now is the time to begin your planting projects for the warm weather season. Flower beds make a great seasonal decoration to enhance your lawn and landscape. Not only do flower beds look great, but they can become a focal point of your property. Whether you are a gardening enthusiast or a first-timer, here is a guide to designing a flower bed to enjoy this spring and summer.
- Decide on the location that you would like to see your flower bed.
- What time of the year would you like to enjoy the flowers blooming most heavily? Just in the spring, the summer, the fall, or a little bit throughout the whole warm weather season? There are certain flowers that are meant to bloom at certain times and you can create a garden that blooms depending on when you want it most.
- The next step is to note whether your garden is more sunny or more shady. Certain flowers thrive in certain conditions so the lighting will play a role in which flowers are best suited for the designated flower bed space.
- Take a trip to the greenhouse and pick out the flowers that you want depending on the times of year you want them to bloom and their lighting requirements. This may be a good time to get some help if you are a beginner. If you want your flowers to stay in constant bloom you will need to purchase a variety of flowers that bloom at different times.
- Be patient. A flower bed is a process and you should expect that some flowers will die, some will expand, some will be your favorites and some you may not care for. You will have to take note of how each flower reacts to the space so that in the years to come you can change your flower selections or the layout.
Good luck to all the spring gardeners who are going to take on a flower bed project! It can be a lot of work, but in the end you will have a lovely display of color and variety of flowers to enjoy. There are many other small details that could cause some hiccups along the way such as the quality of your soil, the proper care for each type of flower, and occasional plant pests. If you begin to feel overwhelmed in your flower bed adventures then you may want to contact your local landscape company for some assistance.
Anyone who would like to create a vibrant display of flowers in Topeka, Kansas City or surrounding Kansas areas with some help from the pros, contact Schendel Lawn & Landscape today! Our team of experienced landscapers can help you create the best looking lawn and landscape on the block!
Originally Published: 05/25/2012