Every October, as the temperatures start to drop, homeowners in Topeka, Alma and the surrounding areas of Kansas begin to prepare their homes for the approaching winter. Furnaces will be cleaned, storm windows and doors will be installed and gutters will be checked for debris. Although you may think that yard clean-up can wait until spring, this is one chore that shouldn’t be put off. Yard landscaping doesn’t begin in the spring- the best time to prepare your lawn and landscape for next year is right now! One chore many homeowners decide can wait until next spring, yard clean-up, should however, not be put off. Contrary to a popular belief, yard landscaping for next spring does not start next spring, rather, the best time to prepare your lawn and landscape for next year is right now. Schendel Lawn and Landscape, a professional Kansas landscape company, would like to offer homeowners a few tips to help with their fall landscape clean-up. These tips include:
- Rake your lawn; this will not only remove unsightly fallen leaves, it will raise thatch to provide for better aeration.
- Prune trees, shrubs and hedges; trim back overgrown areas and remove dead limbs before they weaken any further under the impending heavy snow.
- Clean up flower beds and vegetable gardens; remove dead flowers, unpicked vegetables, twigs, debris and leaves; also be sure to turn over the soil- this will provide you with a clean slate for next spring’s plantings.
- After the first heavy frost, remove any blackened plants including petunias, marigolds and zinnias; remove and destroy any plant stems on any perennials which may have diseased foliage; this will result in fewer problems next spring.
- Protect young plantings from heavy snow and strong winds with simple windbreaks.
- Do not mow your lawn too short at the final mowing; keep it at least 1.5 to 2 inches high.
If you are not a “do-it-yourself” kind of person, Schendel Lawn and Landscape is ready to help! We offer professional landscape maintenance services to home and business owners throughout Topeka Kansas, Lawrence Kansas and the rest of our service area to help prepare your yard for the upcoming snowy months. We also offer snow removal services for when the white stuff finally arrives. For more information on our landscape maintenance, design and build services or any of our professional lawn care programs, please contact us today.
Originally Published: 10/17/2011